Palm Desert is south of Rancho Mirage in the Coachella Valley. The city incorporated in 1973. It was first known as the Old MacDonald Ranch before it became Palm Village in the 1920s.
The Palm Desert Corporation started to develop real estate in this area in 1948. In 1951 the area became known as Palm Desert. Palm Desert is now a major shopping destination with El Paseo Drive, known for its luxury shopping.
Besides shopping, Palm Desert is known as the “World’s Golf Capital” with its numerous golf clubs and resorts with golf courses.